Opened 6 years ago

Last modified 3 years ago

#5568 review enhancement

LDAP Plguin doesn't work well with Active Directory

Reported by: Meaulnes Owned by:
Priority: minor Milestone: 0.13.0
Component: programming Keywords: LDAP
Cc: Parent Tickets:



In implementing GMG in our Active Directory Environment, I discovered that it doesn't work particularly well with AD. I've generated a patch for some changes that I've made. Some of the changes are specific to AD, but some of them should be more generic for any LDAP implementation. I've also attempted to clarify the documentation, since I had to do to quite a bit of code reading to even find what all of the LDAP config options were.

The changes in this patch are tested against my AD environment, and are known to be working -- I'll probably be rolling this out to production this week. I do hope to get an OpenLDAP implementation set up so that I can also test against it, but in reality I am probably quite a ways from it.

I wasn't able to find a style guide, so I hope that my code is up to snuff. It is my first ever patch of this sort, so please be gentle. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Attachments (3)

0001-Fix-LDAP-for-Active-Directory.patch (14.2 KB ) - added by Meaulnes 6 years ago.
LDAP Active Directory patch
0001-Fix-LDAP-For-Active-Directory_code.patch (7.0 KB ) - added by Meaulnes 6 years ago.
LDAP Active Directory patch - code changes
0001-Fix-LDAP-For-Active-Directory_docs.patch (9.5 KB ) - added by Meaulnes 6 years ago.
LDAP Active Directory patch - doc changes

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (8)

by Meaulnes, 6 years ago

LDAP Active Directory patch

comment:1 by Meaulnes, 6 years ago

It looks like this patch does not apply cleanly against master -- it was created against stable. The README.rst fails. I'll clean it up and resubmit.

by Meaulnes, 6 years ago

LDAP Active Directory patch - code changes

by Meaulnes, 6 years ago

LDAP Active Directory patch - doc changes

comment:2 by Meaulnes, 6 years ago

I've uploaded 2 new patch files that reflect my changes in relation to master (rather than stable). I would have deleted the old patch file, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. So here is what the 3 files attached to the issue are:

  • 0001-Fix-LDAP-for-Active-Directory.patch: This should be ignored / deleted. It is the original patch that diff'd against stable rather than master.
  • 0001-Fix-LDAP-For-Active-Directory_code.patch: This file is the code changes between my branch and master.
  • 0001-Fix-LDAP-For-Active-Directory_docs.patch: This file is the documentation changes between my branch and master.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

comment:3 by ShawnRisk, 6 years ago

Status: newreview

comment:4 by Ben Sturmfels, 3 years ago

Milestone: 0.13.0

Oh dear, I'm so sorry we overlooked this patch Meaulnes. Are you still running MediaGoblin and willing to work on this with us?


comment:5 by Meaulnes, 3 years ago

Wow! I forgot about this patch. I can tell you that we've been running this patch in production for 3 years, using Active Directory as the LDAP provider. We've not touched any of the GMG pieces since I got it running, so our codebase is exactly as it was in 2018 -- it's all running internally, so I'm not terribly worried about vulnerabilities with this. I don't know if the patches will still apply cleanly.

We're moving away from Media Goblin however, so I'm not sure how much help I can be moving forward. If I had AD at home, I'd be happy to help on my own time because I think this is an awesome product.

Last edited 3 years ago by Meaulnes (previous) (diff)
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.